Tagging in IdentityNow
IdentityNow's tagging feature connects your organization's internal terms with IdentityNow's governance data and processes. You can apply your business's well-known terms to important governance items to ensure everyone involved sees the language they already understand.
IdentityNow's tagging system covers two primary use cases:
- Tagging Items to Govern them in Search - Tag items that can be searched to help you learn which items are related or need attention.
- Tagging Governance Policies - Tag your governance policies and activities so you know why each action was taken.
Tagging items that can be searched helps you retrieve them more easily. For example, you can tag all highly-privileged roles, access profiles, and entitlements to make them easier to find and track. You can also tag items related to PCI or SOX compliance to simplify certification creation and management.
You can tag the following searchable items in IdentityNow:
- Access Profiles
- *At this time, accounts are not searchable. In the future, you'll be able to search on account data, including related tags.
- **In the future, tags will be applied to the data model for identities that applies to the access an identity has.
Complete the following steps:
1. Sign in to IdentityNow and go to Search.
2. Write a search query to return the items you want to tag.
3. Select the checkboxes next to the items you want to tag and click the Tags icon.
You can also open the Tags overlay for a single item by clicking the number of tags in its Tags column.
4. Add your tags one at a time in the Add Tags field. Press Enter or Return between each tag.
Each item can have up to 30 tags. The tags will be added to any item where adding those tags will not make the count exceed 30.
5. When you're finished adding tags, click Save.
You'll see a success message at the top of the page.
You'll see a success message at the top of the page. Your tags will be available in Search soon. You can remove tags from an item by clicking the X icon next to the tag.
You can have up to 500 different tags in your site, and you can apply your tags to items up to 10,000 times.
You can tag governance policies to make them easier to track. In the future, you'll be able to use these tags to help you take action.
You can add tags to some governance policies and actions in the user interface. See the table below for more information on how to add tags to these policies while creating or editing them.
|Governance Policy||Adding Tags|
|Separation of Duties Policies||Managing Separation of Duties Policies - See step 8 of the Create an SoD Policy section.|
Choosing Terms to Use as Tags
SailPoint recommends that you begin by bringing together individuals from your business, including governance experts and security teams, to establish a list of tags. From there, you can choose the terms that are most expressive of governance objects and the access managed by IdentityNow.
Common tagging suggestions include:
- Risk levels
- Remediation urgency levels
- Affected departments
- Compliance and regulatory categories
Valid characters within tags include:
- The underscore "_" character
All tags will be automatically converted to uppercase, and spaces will be converted to underscores.
Tags must be at least 3 characters long, and must be fewer than 128 characters.