Where Do You Learn About IAM?

Hi all,

Outside of the SailPoint Uni, does anybody recommend good courses to take to learn more about IAM at a more conceptual/theory level? Keen to hear about ANY IAM-related recommendations (IAM/Cyber/GRC/etc…)

There are so many educational pieces out there… As this is an IAM community, I am eager to hear from what you say - does anyone have good courses they’d recommend?

Cheers

Hi  @SeanK-W  As a member of the SailPoint Education Services team, I am VERY interested in hearing from customers if it would be helpful for us to offer some new courses for Identity University that are platform-agnostic, informative around the Identity Security INDUSTRY as a whole (I am  confident the answer is YES, PLEASE).

For example, 2 years ago, I delivered a webinar on Clean Data for Identity Security, with tips for ANY identity security platform. The foundation of ‘clean’ data (part 1 of 3): 
https://community.sailpoint.com/t5/Webinars/Resolving-the-clean-data-conundrum-in-Identity-Security/ec-p/254786#M6

In my head currently, I am thinking about/designing a platform-agnostic Implementation Strategy course or webinar, depending on how much content comes through. I’ve pitched a workshop on general access modeling. Would either of those be interesting to you/others?

  • What additional courses would be helpful?
  • What else could we offer and provide in IDU that would round out your IAM/Cybersecurity expertise?

*And these questions go out to anyone else who would like to provide feedback for new courses that would help you!

I know that does not answer your original question exactly as asked. I believe it would be beneficial to expand our IDU and webinar catalog to include more industry-related, platform-agnostic topics. Do you agree?

I completely agree your ideas are strong and depend on where you’d like to focus.

There’s a noticeable gap in practical, mid- to high-level IAM content.

Rather than step-by-step tutorials, what about playbooks that guide professionals on how to apply IAM principles in real-world scenarios:

  • Application onboarding: requirement gathering, stakeholder engagement, feasibility and scope assessment.
  • User access reviews: readiness assessments, gaining business buy-in, and identifying prerequisites for success.
  • Access modelling: defining roles, naming conventions, managing birthright vs. request-based access, and applying best practices.
  • Data hygiene: identifying upstream/downstream issues, communicating with stakeholders, and efficient cleanup strategies.

IAM guidance - content that bridges the gap between theory and practice!

Thank you so much  @SeanK-W , this is so helpful!

When you have a moment, please check out the webinar entitled “The foundation of ‘clean’ data” (part1/3) and let me know if it satisfies your data hygiene request. If not, how could this be improved? (Or should it just be expanded into a longer course - I only had 1 hour!)

https://community.sailpoint.com/t5/Webinars/Resolving-the-clean-data-conundrum-in-Identity-Security/ec-p/254786#M6

Thank you for the share - watched the video and since you’ve asked for my feedback, I wouldn’t say it needs to be improved. This video satisfies my original comment when I created this thread :).

The video is good in how it covers the underlying principles behind data governance and does a good job of highlighting the importance of education and awareness within a business. More of this 100%!

The gap in mid-level content I was referring to in my previous comment however was a tad different mindset. It was geared towards more hands-on problem solving. Perhaps more focused towards the how… For example in relation to Data Hygiene, would there be any value in lessons to assist people with things like:

  • How to trace where data originates (upstream systems)
  • How data flows through processes and tools (downstream impacts)
  • How to spot where inconsistencies, errors, or gaps are introduced (Platform agnostic methods but perhaps a sprinkle of how Sailpoint can help)
  • How to diagnose root causes instead of just fixing symptoms
  • Tools, workflows, checklists, and best practices for maintaining data hygiene on an ongoing basis