cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing "Refresh Identity Cube" task failures

Fixing "Refresh Identity Cube" task failures

If refresh task execution stops due to failures (such as null pointer exception), then IdentityIQ's "Prune Identity Cubes" task could find/correct the issue:

16:34:48,760 DEBUG sailpoint.task.IdentityRefreshExecutor:1017

- Queueing id b8f4096252d74e16859ba0f8bb7e4e70

16:34:48,870 DEBUG sailpoint.task.IdentityRefreshExecutor:770

- RefreshWorker 1 dequeued id b8f4096252d74e16859ba0f8bb7e4e70

16:34:48,870 INFO sailpoint.task.IdentityRefreshExecutor:882

- Refreshing 2711 John.Doe

16:34:49,495 ERROR sailpoint.task.IdentityRefreshExecutor:876

- RefreshWorker 1 exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

16:34:49,495 DEBUG sailpoint.task.IdentityRefreshExecutor:770

- RefreshWorker 1 dequeued id b92747af4ed54ba3a83325a3564b9f55

The task reports/purges identities missing ALL of these conditions:

• marked protected
  • is a manager (managerStatus flag true)
  • has capabilities
  • Bundle, Application, Workitem, or TaskResult owners
  • work item requestor
  • Application secondary owner
  • Application remediator
  • creator of a MitigationExpiration

Besides an option to filter the identities to scan, the task offers an option to scan, yet not delete, identities (to report what could happen) and another "protectIfCertifying" option to protect identities in an active (non-continuous) certification.

Alternatively, these steps could aid in resolution. There exists an "Refresh Identity Cube" task setting to continue processing identities even after failures. Disabling the failure-limit lets the task process all identities. While the default value of 1 stops processing after 1 failure, yet the value of 0 continues processing with no limit:

<TaskDefinition ... name="Refresh Identity Cube" ... type="Identity">

<Attributes>

<Map>

<entry key="maxExceptions" value=0 />
  1. Either increase/disable the exception limit during identity refresh execution. The IIQ "debug" page offers a XML editor to access the "hidden" object attributes.
  2. Check either task result or system logs for (failed) identities.
  3. Re-configure the refresh task's filter to exclude "failed" identities. This allows the scan to complete the (good) identities, yet keeps the "failed" identities for study/resolution.
  4. If "Prune Identity Cubes" task does not remove failures, then delete the (failed) identities from IIQ (via "iiq console"). Before deleting, copy the identity for backup/review purposes. Note that "iiq console" offers a SQL cmd option for examining RDBMS tables directly.
C:> set SPHOME=<IIQ DIR>

C:> cd %SPHOME%/WEB-INF/bin

C:> iiq console

> sql "select id,name from spt_identity where id = 'b8f4096252d74e16859ba0f8bb7e4e70' "

> get Identity b8f4096252d74e16859ba0f8bb7e4e70

(copy and paste XML to file as backup)

> delete Identity b8f4096252d74e16859ba0f8bb7e4e70

> quit
Labels (1)
Comments

Hi,

I have this exact problem and I tried 1) but an error occured.

I put double quotes between the zero's and the "Maximum refresh exceptions reached" went away!

<entry key="maxExceptions" value="0" />
Now I am stuck on 3).

Figured that would get rid of the "An unexpected error occured: java.lang.NullPointerException" error.

Can someone give a step by step please?

Thanks,

Jess

I figured out 3) for anyone that might have the same problem.  The null pointer was coming from an delimited file app that had a rule and more than one merge columns.  In the identity there was literally <null/> stored in there.  I found out that my script wasn't handling null values and somehow the null value was being stored in the identity.  All I did was change the beanshell script to handle null values, reaggregated, and the null pointer went away.

Hi,

We are also getting Null pointer exception on "Refresh Identity" task only if we select "Refresh assigned, detected roles and promote additional entitlements" option. We identified which identity is causing this issue. Please help us to find solution for this and let us know in which rule we need to add the null check and it would be great if you can share a piece of code.

We get this same nll pointer exception during aggregation only if we select "Refresh assigned and detected roles" option. But there are no roles created in our application so far.

Raghunatha chinnapa

Please post this question in the Forums.  The comment section of documentation is not meant for troubleshooting.

-Lyndsay

hi jess, where can I find this file with <entry key="maxExceptions" value="0" /> in which I can modify the value from 1 to 0?

Go to the Debug interface for IdentityIQ and lookup the TaskDefinition object for your custom identity refresh task (or a standard refresh task that you want to modify). In the XML definition, within the attributes map, you add that line.

- Menno

Version history
Revision #:
2 of 2
Last update:
‎Jul 28, 2023 12:16 AM
Updated by:

Contributors