cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transient workflows

Transient workflows

Sometimes, workflows may be launched only to be aborted by the launcher. Historically, this would result in lingering work items and/or workflowcases that might never be closed. IdentityIQ 6.1 introduces the concept of "transient workflows" -- workflows that create no persisted artifacts until the workflow has to pause (e.g. the workflow is backgrounded or a workflow form has to be presented to someone other than the workflow launcher).

The transient workflow concept was initial created to support the self-service registration option, preventing a proliferation of abandoned work items in the event that users attempted to self-register to IdentityIQ and aborted the registration process before they submitted the form for approval.  It has proven useful in any circumstance where an initiating user could abort a workflow process with the desired resulting action being for IdentityIQ to behave as if the workflow were never launched.

Consider the example of a quickLink that launches a workflow to present a form to the user.  If a user clicks that quicklink and then discovers they don't want to complete the form, they would click "cancel" on the form. A traditional workflow would save the form as a work item in the user's inbox and leave the workflowcase in a pending state, awaiting action by the user that they might never take.  Marking the workflow as transient means that when the user clicks "cancel", the workflowcase disappears and no work item is created for the launcher at all.

To make a workflow transient, declare a process variable for it called "transient" and set it to true.

<Workflow name="Vanishing Workflow" ...>

<Variable name="transient" initializer="true"/>

Labels (1)
Comments

At a customer, I'm getting this error message, too, after patching to p2. The workflow itself seems to work OK, though.

- Menno

at7

Seeing the same error with P2. Workflow works perfectly fine but it's just annoying to see the error in the logs.

Engineering is working on it...

Same here.  No issue on 7.2 but saw the issue after the 7.2p2 was applied.

Is there an estimated fix date?

It is marked as fixed in 7.2p3 and in 7.3 (and 7.1p5 - apparently affected at least one 7.1 patch version as well).  I don't know the dates for those releases, but the good news is that it also doesn't appear to affect any functions of the workflow - just an unexpected error message in the logs.

Hello Jennifer,

Is there a hotfix for the above issue, We are running into the same problem after upgrading yesterday. Its very confusing in the logs.

Also, when is the estimated release date for SailPoint 7.2 p3?

Regards

Arjun

Hotfix: Not my knowledge and

7.2p3 release date: I don't know. 

If you are a customer, please contact your CSM to ask about this.  If you are a partner, please contact your Partner Manager.  They should be able to get you that information.

Thanks Jennifer,

Will do

Regards

Arjun

So I am getting this error in a workflow on 7.2p2. If we receive errors on an file import process, we display a form with a count of errors and what the errors were. This is currently bombing out and going straight to main login page and I get the error everyone else is getting. We are losing the last error page that displays the error count and reason.

Version history
Revision #:
2 of 2
Last update:
‎Jul 10, 2023 05:18 PM
Updated by: