IdentityNow Transforms - Conditional

IdentityNow Transforms - Conditional

Overview

The conditional transform allows you to output different values depending on simple conditional logic. This is a convenience transform in that the same capability could be implemented via a "static" transform, but with much greater simplicity and null-safe error checking.

Other Considerations

• The two operands within the transform cannot be null; if they are, an IllegalArgumentException will be thrown.
    • If you are using an "accountAttribute" transform for either of the operands within your expression, it is recommended that you wrap that transform inside of a "firstValid" transform to ensure that null values do not get passed into the expression.
  • The expression attribute must always be "eq" or the transform will throw an IllegalArgumentException.
  • All attribute string values are case-sensitive, so differently cased strings (e.g., "engineering" and "Engineering") will not return as matched

Transform Structure

In addition to the standard type and name attributes required by all transforms, the conditional transform requires an expression, a positiveCondition and a negativeCondition. If the expression evaluates to false, the negative condition is returned, otherwise the positive condition is returned.

Example

{
  "attributes": {
    "expression": "foo eq foo",
    "positiveCondition": "true",
    "negativeCondition": "false"
  },
  "type": "conditional",
  "name": "Test Conditional Transform"
}

Attributes

• Required Attributes

• type - This must always be set to conditional
    • name - This is a required attribute for all transforms, and represents the name of the transform as it will appear in the UI's dropdowns
    • expression - A comparison statement that follows the structure of ValueA eq ValueB where ValueA and ValueB are static strings or outputs of other transforms; the eq operator is the only valid comparison
    • positiveCondition - The output of the transform if the expression evaluates to true
    • negativeCondition - The output of the transform if the expression evaluates to false
  • Optional Attributes

• requiresPeriodicRefresh - A true or false value that indicates whether the transform logic should be re-evaluated every evening as part of the identity refresh process.

Examples

Example 1

{
    "expression": "$department eq Science",
    "positiveCondition": "true",
    "negativeCondition": "false",
    "department": {
        "values": [
          {
              "sourceName": "HR Source",
              "attributeName": "department"
            },
            "type": "accountAttribute"
          },
          {
              "value": "none"
            },
            "type": "static"
          }
        ]
      },
      "type": "firstValid"
    }
  },
}

This example takes the user's HR-defined department attribute and compares it to the value of "Science." If this is in fact the user's department, the transform will return "true," otherwise it will return "false."

Example 2

{
    "expression": "$department eq Science",
    "positiveCondition": "$scienceBuilding",
    "negativeCondition": "$adminBuilding",
    "department": {
        "values": [
          {
              "sourceName": "HR Source",
              "attributeName": "department"
            },
          },
          {
              "value": "none"
            },
          }
        ]
      },
      "type": "firstValid"
    },
    "scienceBuilding": {
            "value": "Building S"
        },
    },
    "adminBuilding": {
            "value": "Building A"
        },
    }
  },
}

This example extends the previous one by returning the output of another Seaspray transform depending on the result of the expression. You can assign the outputs of Seaspray transforms to variables and then reference them within the positiveCondition and negativeCondition attributes.

References

• N/A
Comments

Hey,

I've tried to test this transform out however whenever I try to mimic the last example, I get the below error message. I was wondering if you had any ideas why it would be failing. When I try with string values instead of using another transform it works properly.

"There was an exception while calculating the value for this attribute. com.sailpoint.seaspray.template.TemplateException: Error rendering template: $UNSWGStaff"

Transform:

{
"expression": "$name eq Bruce",
"positiveCondition": "$TNEStaff",
"negativeCondition": "$UNSWGStaff",
"name": {
"attributeName": "firstName",
"sourceName": "Campus"
},
},
"TNEStaff": {
"value": "TNE User"
},
},
"UNSWGStaff": {
"value": "UNSWGStaff"
},
}
},
"id": "Test Conditional Transform"
}

Regards

Brendon

Try to wrap(nest) this in firstValid transform it might work..

Unfortunately that gave me a Null Pointer Exception error. I've contacted Hari externally to this and is checking on it.

Hi @brendonmurphy thanks for bringing this to our attention. It turns out there was a small bug in the order of evaluation logic on this transform; our engineering team will be sending out a fix to address this bug soon. I will try to update this thread as soon as I've confirmed that the fix is live.

Hey Hari,

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear a resolution is on the way.

@hari_patel I am getting the same error :

There was an exception while calculating the value for this attribute. com.sailpoint.seaspray.template.TemplateException: Error rendering template: $userID

Is this issue fixed by engineering?

I am getting the same error :

There was an exception while calculating the value for this attribute. com.sailpoint.seaspray.template.TemplateException: Error rendering template: $job

#IdentityNow

@hari_patel I am also facing the same issue. Is there any resolution for this SailPoint bug?

There was an exception while calculating the value for this attribute. com.sailpoint.seaspray.template.TemplateException: Error rendering template: $cityName

#IdentityNow

There was an exception while calculating the value for this attribute. com.sailpoint.seaspray.template.TemplateException: Error rendering template: $<Myvariable>

Any idea how help?

#IdentityNow

@hari_patel @Karthikeyan1 @Oumaima @sharvari_shah how did u guys resolve this?

@hari_patel , is this bug fixed? We are also seeing the same issue. 

@hrathod007 @Karthikeyan1 @pblatt @Oumaima , did anyone of you fixed this issue? is there any alternate approach for that? please let us know. it is kind of urgent thing. Appreciate the help.

Best Regards

Venkat

same here, any update?

Thanks all for your continued engagement on this transform. The original transform "order of operations" evaluation bug which was reported in December of 2020 was addressed by Engineering in early 2021. After that point, the transform should have been evaluating correctly. One aspect which I know has tripped up some users is that both operands within the expression must be valid values -- they cannot be null.

The `com.sailpoint.seaspray.template.TemplateException: Error rendering template` message being thrown is directly related to that null value edge case. I've updated the "Other Considerations" language at top to highlight this requirement, provided guidance towards a firstValid "wrapper" transform, and also updated both examples to demonstrate the firstValid usage.

I have the same error:

There was an exception while calculating the value for this attribute. com.sailpoint.seaspray.template.TemplateException: Error rendering template: $$PasswordRFC1

Transform:

{
  "attributes": {
    "expression""$EMPStatus eq Null",
    "positiveCondition""$PasswordRFC1",
    "negativeCondition""$PasswordRFC2"
   },

"PasswordRFC1": {
      "attributes": {
        "value""Price2022"
      },
      "type""static"